A shipping container depot is located within a container terminal near the port area and is used as a storage area for shipping containers where the goods are unloaded. The shipping companies store their containers in a container depot till the time they are ready to ship. The container depot area helps in storing, cleaning, and repairing. These areas can store:
- General containers
- Transported containers
- Special equipment
Services provided by container depot management:
- Transportation facilities like trucks and cranes can load and unload many containers easily.
- Highly experienced technicians who are skilled in doing repairs and maintenance of the containers.
- Warehousing storage areas in places that are close to ports to facilitate better transportation.
- Teams of qualified surveyors will perform the required modifications in the containers.
- Regular communication with customers through electronic data interchange (EDI) to understand their requirements.
Division of container depot areas:
Based on the nature of services and customer requirements, these areas can be divided into three sections:
- Storage section: This section is used to store containers that are in perfect condition and can be shipped immediately at the request of shipping companies.
- Maintenance section: This section is used to store containers that require modifications and repairs, which are done with the company’s permission. After that, they are ready to be shifted to the storage sections.
- Cleaning section: This section is used for cleaning purposes and containers are cleaned with necessary chemicals.
These services play an important role in the supply chain all across the globe as it facilitates storage and transportation facilities.